Any word on the Multics revival front?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Sat Mar 12 12:37:11 CST 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 08:51:28PM -0800, Zane Healy wrote:

> What I’d like to know is if any copies of GCOS-8 exist in the wild.
> That’s what I’d personally really like to boot on the emulator.

I would too.  I've always been curious about Honeywell OSes.  Well, I'm
curious about any mainframe OSes I've never had contact with, which is most
of them.  I currently work as an IBM z/OS operator, so I'm mostly familiar
with IBM OSes.  I went to college briefly at Lamar University in Beaumont,
TX in '88-'89.  Sadly I dropped out during my second semester.  The computer
science department had an overworked VAX 11/750.  I worked as a volunteer
operator on that system.  I heard the engineering department had a Honeywell
mainframe.  There was one Honeywell terminal room in the computer science
building that was used by a FORTRAN programming class.  The doorway to that
terminal room was the closest I ever got to the campus's Honeywell.  I don't
know what model it was, or what OS it ran.  I still regret not finding out
more about it while I was there.  And that has made me especially curious
about Honeywell OSes.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.