OT: lenses (Was: Front Panels - PDP8 and PDP 11

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Mar 11 01:01:16 CST 2016

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 10:05 PM, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:
>
> I  wonder if the tele tessar was a true  tessar   design  or  just a  use
> of  'the name' ? I have seen   snipits in google referring to it being a true
> telephoto...  with a true  tessar formula  lens  IS NOT.

I think it’s based on the Tessar, but is something different from what’s in the Hasselblad manual.  The cross-section is definitely different.  There are apparently at least two Tele-Tessar designs, with different numbers of elements.

> ok  the  norm   for the hassleblad was a80 mm  f  2.8 planar...
>
> in the rolliflex   the tessar was the entry level lens... the  planar  the
> upgrade.
>
> my  first  'real' camera was a 1933 rolliflex  with a   f3.5 tessar.   not
> bad  at  all  but a little soft  wide open.
> I still have  this  camera. and the low  shutter   speeds are a little
> slow  but OTW   rest is   fine..
> In  HD  I  bought an argus  c3   from my  geometry teacher  for   $8   and
> used it a lot   more  shots  per  roll and  would operate  eye level  and
> had a  pretty  good  split image rangefinder.. the   lens  was  decent too.
>
> when I  went in USAF  sold   the  C#  to  my  brother but  kept the
> rolliflex  (  wish I had   saved both! as  the argus  shot  some of  my   first
> press  work)  adn  when in USAF   got a  SLR.

I’ve not been able to justify the cost of a Planar Rolleiflex, though I’d really love one with a nice f/2.8 Planar lens.  Both of mine have the 75mm f/3.5 Tessar.  The older of my two is from 1936, the newer from about 1958.  For me the Rollei is more of a small lightweight travel camera, or shooting for fun, than a serious camera.  Sort of a “getting back to my roots” sort of thing, as I started with a Yashica 44LM TLR.

What I really need to do is spend the money and get my Hasselblad’s 80mm f/2.8 Planar C CLA’d, as the shutter on it isn’t accurate (or fast) at any speed. :-(  It’s my "serious work" Medium Format camera.

Zane