OT: lenses (Was: Front Panels - PDP8 and PDP 11

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Mar 10 09:59:38 CST 2016

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 11:37 PM, Paul Anderson <useddec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Popular or Modern Photography 20 or 30 years ago had an article on the 10
> best lens ever made. I think Zeiss made 3 of them, and they were the only
> company with more than one.

One of my all time favorite lenses is the Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 Planar C lens made by Zeiss.  Even their low-end Tessar lenses are awesome.

> I know there are a lot of great optics out there, but I still love Zeiss.
> I have several Zeiss cameras, binoculars, microscopes, etc.

It’s hard to dislike Zeiss, in fact I don’t know anyone that does. :-)

> With everything going digital, and various health problems, I haven't
> touched my Contax RTSs in years. I was planning on buying a digital body to
> use my optics, but they never released one.
>
> If anyone knows of a good digital body  that will adapt to RTS optics,
> please let me know.

Take a look at the Sony a7 series of bodies, people are using RTS lenses on them.  You can put almost anything on them, and they’re a full frame sensor.  I know that the wider lenses might have some fringing issues at the edges.  I’ve started looking seriously at the a7 series, as it would allow me to use a lot of lenses I have, that I can currently only use on 35mm film bodies.

Since I started shooting more than just Nikon, it’s a lot harder to find Nikon lenses I really like.  The only AF lens I really like is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, at f/5.6 it can compete with my 50mm Summicron.

Zane