Imaging RX02 disks for simh (was: Re: MU-BASIC V2 and RT-11 V03B distribution disks.)

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:31:39 CST 2016

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:
> I have managed to munge RX02 disk images into a format that SIMH understands a year or so ago. Unfortunately, I didn't keep notes about how I did it, and now I've forgotten what I did, possibly using some throw-away code that I've since thrown away. Or maybe I dumped the disks to image files on an emulated TU58 on my real PDP-11, and then wrote the image files to new simh RX02 disk images under RT11 in simh. Actually, that sounds like what I might have done. It's a clumsy way to do things, though. I'd like to learn how simh expects its RX02 image files to be arranged so that I can write a utility to translate between them and other formats.

I have also gone through that exercise in the past and wrote some
simple code to shuffle disk sectors around between and input RX02
image files and and output RX02 image files to account for the sector
interleave and track to track skew factors. I still have the code I
wrote to do that, but I'd have to take a look at it again to figure
out how I was using it.

-Glen