1950s TV computers

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Mar 3 00:15:05 CST 2016

On 03/02/2016 11:29 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 08:41 PM, Bob Rosenbloom wrote:
>
>> Looks like a Bendix G15 at about 2:03 in the second video.
>

> Sharp eyes, Bob!  I had completely ignore the intros by
> Truman Bradley as phonied-up props.  But you're right--it
> is, in fact,a G-15.
>
> One thing that I noted was that the word "transistor"
> didn't seem to creep into the scripts until the 1956 season.

I think electrical engineers knew transistors were the next
big thing, possibly some of them had a few samples that they
were starting to work with, but probably few had really much
experience with them in 1956.  Certainly, IBM and other
computer companies were hard at work developing
transistorized computers.  IBM installed the first 7090 in
November 1959, and only ANNOUNCED the 1401 and 1620 in late
1959.  So, they really didn't have any transistor machines
installed in 1956.  The Philco S-1000 and S-2000 were
supposed to be the first mass-produced transistorized "real"
computers, in 1957.

Jon