CDC 6600 - Why so awesome?

Lionel Johnson lionelj at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jun 23 02:20:52 CDT 2016

On 23/06/2016 2:38 AM, Brian Walenz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>
>     Werner Buchholz (editor), "Planning a Computer System: Project Stretch",
>>          McGraw-Hill, New York, 1962
>>
> http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/IBM-7030-Planning-McJones.pdf
>

>> Speaking of books, there's also a CDC 6600 book:
>>
>>    Jim E. Thornton, "Design of A Computer: The Control Data 6600",
>>          Scott, Foresman, Glenview, 1970
>>
> http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/cdc/6x00/books/DesignOfAComputer_CDC6600.pdf
>
> (apologies for using the non-official link)
>
> Really gotta do that Bibliography!
>>          Noel
Here's a Dr Dobbs article with a couple of pics. Takes me back.
http://www.drdobbs.com/control-data-6600-the-supercomputer-arri/184404102
I joined CDC in Melbourne, Aust in 1972, worked mostly on 3200 machines
- Didn't like the Cybers, but admired the horsepower. I could fix a
3200, every time, that was the best training I ever had, alone with my
machine in Hobart, I loved it. When that ended, got into PDP 3rd party
maint. Thus was a career made.
Lionel.