Y Combinator is restoring one of Alan Kay's Xerox Alto machines

CuriousMarc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:59:28 CDT 2016

The restoration is physically happening at my place. As noted below we have a small and quite knowledgeable group of people contributing, including actual hardware when we are missing a part (thanks Al !). A few of us are chronicling this on our favorite media from our favorite angle.
I like to make short videos trying to convey the inside story of the restoration, on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/curiousmarc
It's interspersed with all the other restorations, but two videos so far:
https://youtu.be/YupOC_6bfMI
https://youtu.be/xPyqQXFC2yw
Ed Thelen likes to collect every bit of raw information floating around, including some of the team emails and throw them into equally raw site, as he does for the IBM 1401 restoration effort at CHM:
http://ed-thelen.org/RestoreAlto/index.html
Carl Claunch methodically recounts everything he does every day (and he does a lot), so when he works on the Alto, you'll know every detail:
http://rescue1130.blogspot.com/
Ken Shirriff makes deeply researched, superlative detailed posts on his blog. These are reference pieces, I admire them a lot:
http://www.righto.com/2016/06/y-combinators-xerox-alto-restoring.html
And it gets discussed on the Y-combinator (the owners of the machine) and hopefully here too.
Seeing the interest, I will make an effort to post new links when they become available, unless of course Master Al beats me to it.

Marc