Accessing a TK50 or TK70 from RT

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 12 05:00:31 CDT 2016

On 12/06/2016 04:01, Jerome H. Fine wrote:

>>> I really don't understand the question.
>>>
>>> Whenever I used either the TK50 or the TK70 under RT-11,
>>> the device name was TU0: and no SET or ASSIGN was required
>>> unless the CSR and / or VECTOR needed to be modified - which
>>> never happened since the standard CSR / VECTOR was always OK.
>>>
>>> By the way, while the TK50 is mostly reasonable in WRITE mode
>>> and COPY operations, a COMPARE leaves a lot to be desired.
>>> The TK70 solves that problem.  If you must COMPARE with the
>>> TK50, COPY the files(s) to a scratch disk first.
>>>
>>> To initialize the tape for files:
>>> INIT  TU0:
>>> COPY  SY:*.SAV  TU0:
>>> I suggest you use the NOREWIND option between files if you
>>> are writing more than one file per command.  If you don't, you
>>> will quickly realize why that option is preferred.
>>>
>>> To initialize the take for a BACKUP:
>>> INIT/BACKUP  TU0:
>>>
>>> You can check the results with:
>>> DIR  TU0:
>>>
>>> Jerome Fine
>>>

>> Wouldn’t this be a TMSCP device and use the MU handler?
>>
>> If you have RT11 V5.x try the following commands
>>
>> .sho dev:mu Device    Status                   CSR     Vector(s)
>> ------    ------                   ---     ————
>>  MU      Installed               174500   260
>> MU0: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0
>>
>> .load mu:
>>
>> .sh dev:mu
>>
>> Device    Status                   CSR     Vector(s)
>> ------    ------                   ---     ---------
>>  MU      122160                  174500   260
>> MU0: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0
>>
>> INIT MU0:  Use  MU0: in the examples instead of TU0:  Jerome has above.
>>

>> Jerry
>>
> Sorry about that - I apologize!!  You are correct!!!!
>
> Please substitute MU for TU.
>
> Jerome Fine
OK we are moving forward.

Drive is TK70
Interface card is a TQK70 controller
The cart is a TK50 as that's all I have.
The write protect slide is to write protect off.
Cart loads normally and activity light goes to on.
Write protect light is off
I can now get the INIT to start and ask init Y/N.
INIT starts but write protect light comes on
System halts on an I/O error

.sh dev:mu

gives

Device                  Status      CSR                       Vector(s)
MU                      122722    174500                260  254

Nearly there I think. I have loads of TK50 tapes to format.

Rod