Windows use in medical spaces (Re: vintage computers in active use)

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 03:19:06 CDT 2016

> > What would you expect. Properly maintained, managed enterprise and
> > locked down Windows/7 is solid and reliable.
> > In the UK it is hard to use Linux in the "Public Sector" and in the UK
> > most Hospitals are Public Sector.
> > You can use Linux BUT you must have a support contract in place and
> > run a supported distro.
> > Having costed this it brings the price up way beyond that of a Windows
> > desktop.
>
>  You can surely get a proper Linux support contract -- proper as in: if
you
> trigger a bug (which may be anything from a protocol violation, through a
> security hole, to a crash) in the kernel or other core component, then you
can
> log it with your support provider's bug tracking system and get it fixed
with an
> update release of the offending component provided within an agreed
> reasonable time frame, having live access to the bug status throughout the
> cycle.

You can but you will have to pay a subscription, and that will be expensive.
You will also have to stick to a supported release such as Red Enterprise
Hat.

>  Now can you get it with Windows?  This is a serious question -- I've been
asking
> various IT people about it many times over the years, and only got evasive
> answers (if any), but perhaps I asked the wrong people.

There are several options. Basic support is provided in the base licence,
i.e. you get the fixes. Some of the licencing options include additional
support calls. If you are big enough you will have a Technical Account
Manager (TAM) who will assist in managing these calls.  However, the bottom
line is you can always raise a per-incident support call on supported
software by ringing the support number and giving them a credit card. It
used to be £200. I have done this thee times I the last 20 years. Twice its
been a known problem and received a refund.

>   Maciej

Dave
G4UGM