IBM 3511

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Jun 9 22:21:35 CDT 2016

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 19:39, William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So today I picked up something I had never seen before - an IBM 3511.
> This is a large tower expansion chassis for the PS/2 line. It looks
> very straightforward - but can any of you PS/2 fans comment on this?
> Was it an unsuccessful product? Low demand item?

I googled up a brochure, and from the front it appears to be based on the same chassis as my PS/2 85. I guess it was meant to be an external SCSI enclosure for machines of that era? I believe that the 85 was intended for server duty, so a matching external drive enclosure makes sense to me.

My machine came without its original hard drive, so I substituted a SCSI2SD. I also added a SCSI CD-ROM drive that I harvested from one of my Sun Ultra 60 stripped chassis, then used that to install OS/2 on it.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/