Station wagon full of tapes vs cigarette pack (was Re: thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:35:41 CDT 2016

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Well, one thing that I note is that only an idiot transports valuable
> data on "loose" 2400' 10.5" reels.

Great point.  I took that into consideration with my last swag.

> This is better than the hard-plastic cases, which could get to be quite
> thick or the 3M hard plastic wraparound protectors, which can approach 1
> 1/8" in height.  Note that this is nothing more than yours truly
> grabbing the first couple of tapes off a pile and measuring.

Well, we'll need 1823 of them. 3M will probably restart production in my
fantasy scenario.

> As Will mentioned, 3600' tapes were nothing but trouble.

They are out, I'm going to be in bad enough shape after the drive, I can't
deal with client whining once I get to Rhode Island. Back to 2400.

> I do know that I can fit 6 10.5" reels of tape and their cases in my old
> Samsonite briefcase, having done it many times.  I wonder how a 727 with
> one passenger with 6 2400' tapes flying between San Jose and Dulles
> compares in bandwidth...

Hehe, if the thread keeps going I'll have no choice but to start
calculating bandwidth with throughput and latency. Sounds like more fun.
:-)

-Swift