Is MS-DOS, PC DOS and DR-DOS vintage enough to count?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sun Jul 31 14:59:11 CDT 2016

On 7/31/2016 11:49 AM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 07/31/2016 11:21 AM, jim stephens wrote:
>
>> Windows 98 switched to protected mode almost immediately on boot,
>> and all the dos boxes were synthesized in virtual 8086 mapped mode,
>> and had no underlying booted dos environment.
> I'm not sure that I follow here.  I routinely use Win98SE for my DOS
> tasks--it boots into DOS quite nicely if you edit the MSDOS.SYS file to
> say BootGUI=0.   You get MS-DOS 7.1 at boot.  Add DOSLFN to your
> CONFIG.SYS and you even get long filename support.
>
> That's DOS in its unvarnished form, isn't it?
>
> What am I missing?
The booted system on Windows 95 is real mode dos, and that allows all of
the dos boxes you spawn to share the same virtual to physical address space.

Windows 98 still did the same trick, but would only map a single
physical address space to the physical space.  There was a collision
because of the fact that they never booted and ran a base dos box, but
actually booted to PE big real and ran from there.

Of course you can get a real physical dos if you specify it, but windows
didn't launch on top of that in windows 98.