Reproduction micros

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 14:29:13 CDT 2016

> On Jul 20, 2016, at 3:02 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it's fair to say that ARM was a relatively early RISC
> implementation *in term of single chip processors*, that it was
> remarkably simple compared to others of that time (as in, smaller,
> more reduced, fewer transistors, etc.), that its power consumption
> always was remarkably low and its performance, for its first decade or
> so, remarkably high.

I don't remember the earlier ARM designs, but it was my impression that DEC's StrongARM was the one that made really large strides in low power (especially power per MHz of clock speed).  Interestingly enough, StrongARM was one of the few (and the first?) independent designs; it used the ARM architecture specification but not the actual logic design as others did.

	paul