NuTek Mac comes

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jul 17 19:01:53 CDT 2016

> On Jul 17, 2016, at 6:03 PM, Peter Coghlan <cctalk at beyondthepale.ie> wrote:

> I think that dates/times were done pretty well on VMS with the exception
> of a couple of blunders - not going further back than 1858 for the base
> date and not having the system manage time in UTC while allowing
> individual users to deal with time in whatever timezone they want to be
> in.

Not using UTC is indeed unfortunate in a way.  Then again, using UTC internally comes with problems too, because the local time as displayed comes out wrong whenever the politicians change the rules with insufficient lead time.   Some countries know to avoid this; a lot do not, as those living in Turkey or Egypt have recently discovered.

As for 1858, that's not 0 but it's a lot earlier than 1969.  And if you go back much further, you run into some interesting issues: Julian or Georgian calendar?  Actually, that's an issue even after 1858, but only for a few countries.

	paul