DOS code in CP/M? Revisited...

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 23:32:36 CDT 2016

Hi Guys,
I have been suspicious of Microsoft pirating CP/M for decades!  Back in my twenties, I was reading about CP/M in the college library where I attended thinking,  "Wow!  CP/M looks EXACTLY like MS-DOS!"  So I went on a reading spree and found out that CP/M was written by Gary Kildall well before MS-DOS was supposedly by Bill Gates!  It's a long history that I obviously don't need to go into here since there is so much about it on the Internet.
I think that was why Bill Gates was so adamant about forcing licensing of his software upon everyone though-out his ownership of Microsoft.
Just because memory is so big now and so cheap compared to the '70s and '80s doesn't mean Microsoft should stop optimizing software.  A 3GB Installation DVD for an Operating System has got to be way too unoptimized!  I don't even want to get started on how many bugs there are in new releases of Microsoft's software.
I believe that the family of Gary Kildall finally won that war if memory serves.  Microsoft ought to pay his family's linage royalties forever in my opinion.  I wonder how many people Microsoft stepped on to get where they are.  I'd love to know the inside scoop on that one, but I'm sure that those in the know had to have been forced to sign nondisclosure agreements or be sued.  That seems to be Microsoft's MO.
There was a movie about a very similar scenario called Antitrust released in 2001 that was about a software giant's operating system called NURV if memory serves that starred Tim Robbins who was the owner/chairman of the company and Ryan Phillippe as a young software programmer.  Through-out the movie I kept wondering how much of this related to and was like Microsoft!   I immediately thought of Microsoft within the first few minutes of the movie once I began to realize what was going on!
Please forgive me.  I normally don't like to rant and rave online or in emails as I like to keep things positive since there is so much not right in this world, but this really struck a chord!
I really wish I could attend VCF West, but unfortunately I have no access to the needed funds so I was wondering will Bob Zeidman's talk be video recorded?  If so, where is the video repository for past VCF seminars?  If not, I hope someone will step up and do so.  In any event, I hope you all have fun at VCF West!  I will be thinking of you guys.  I think I was born and raised on the wrong side of the country.  I was born, raised and still live in SC, but sometimes I wished I had grown up on the west coast somewhere near Silicon Valley where all the surplus computer electronics was always appearing.  I have been known to work endless hours on end programming and building microprocessor based computers.  I used to dream about working with DEC PDP-8s and PDP-11s years ago in high school and college.  I poured over whatever computer related magazines I could find back then in the late '70s and early '80s.  If I had it all to do over again knowing what I know now, where would I have gone and what would I have done...  :)  Take care my friends.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com