Reproduction micros

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:02:08 CDT 2016

I'm probably dreaming, but is anyone aware of DIY efforts or business
ventures aiming to reproduce a classic micro or "next-gen" classic micro?
I have seen a lot of efforts, but only one quite like that (the Altair 680
project nails it). I'm just thinking that with 3D printers and FPGA
hardware emulation it's probably not as hard as it once was.

Here are some similar efforts I'm already aware of.

Project BreadBox (dead)
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47834&sid=ae3e721d8d800cbe5d6b003afe70d79b

The truly kick ass MIST. A nice clone of several systems implemented in
FPGA, but design wise, it's a shabby little metal box. I have one and I
think it really rocks. I just wish there were more cases and accessories.
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

The Firebee ST clone project
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Coldfire_Project

The C64 Joystick clone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV

Commodore.net used to sell PeeCee C64 and Amiga look-a-like clones
dead link: http://www.commodore.net

The C-One. A FPGA board to emulate the C64, again no case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-One

The awesome Altair 680 kit that appears to be a very complete clone of the
system. It comes with a case et al.
http://www.altair680kit.com/

A bunch of PDP-X replicas in FPGAs with various degrees of usefulness
http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp_fpga.html

These guys are trying to build a NEW Amiga with backward compatibility.
Sounds like a wonderful project. They seem to be pretty far along with
many prototype boards built. FPGA guts with a real 060' for CPU! They
never seem to have made boards for sale, though, and there was no effort
toward a complete system design (case, keyboards, etc...). The last noise
they made seems to be in 2007.
http://www.natami.net/

For consoles there are plenty of clones:
http://segaretro.org/Unlicensed_Mega_Drive_clones
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-System-GENESIS-Nintendo-Entertainment/dp/B003O3EFY2

Then there is the Cray1 remake
http://www.chrisfenton.com/homebrew-cray-1a/