Connectors: Both contact surfaces must also be the same material?

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 02:19:21 CDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Jon Elson
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2016 9:46 PM
To: General at classiccmp.org; Discussion at classiccmp.org:On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts
Subject: Re: Connectors: Both contact surfaces must also be the same
material?

On 07/10/2016 01:58 PM, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 7/10/16 1:14 AM, Paul Birkel wrote:
>
>> Almost every DEC System Unit ("backplane") that I've ever seen uses
>> tinned-contacts, yet the Modules all use gold-plated fingers.
>>
> I'm not near one right now, but there should be gold plating on the
> finger in the DEC connector block at the point of contact with the pcb
> edge connector. It's easier to see on the VAX era blocks.

Absolutely.  The WW pins were tinned, but there was selective gold plating
on the card edge contact fingers.
It would take a strong light and magnifier to see it down inside the
connector, but you can rest assured the contact was gold-gold.

Jon
-----

Evidently a strong light *and* a strong magnifier (at least for me!).   Off
to find one ... well, two.

paul
-----