TI Silent 700 print mechanism mechanical issues, and Model 763/765 bubble memory notes

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 21:38:15 CDT 2016

On further study, I find that I misunderstood the nature of the print
mechanism in the TI Silent 700 model 763.  What I thought was the line
advance solenoid is actually a head lift solenoid. It fooled me
because it is actuated every time the line is advanced, but the actual
line advance is performed by a stepper motor, like the newer variant
of models 743 and 745, rather than by a solenoid as in the older
variant of models 743/745.

The missing spring and knob prevent the head from being held in close
enough proximity to the thermal paper. I'll have to figure out how to
secure the parts in place in order to make it work reliably.