Looking for old connectors

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Sun Jul 10 13:54:50 CDT 2016

Tothwolf <tothwolf at concentric.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>
>>> One is easy - J3 is a 2x10 pin 2.54mm connector which is still
>>> common today.
>>> But it is higher than the usual connectors. It has a hight of 1.5cm. If you
>>> search for the printed A-MP number (1-87456-6), you'll find the housing,
>>> but not the soldered clips used inside this housing....
>>>
>>> http://pics.pofo.de/gallery3/index.php/S8000/S8000_boards/FINCH-Adapter-Board/IMGP9593
>>
>> found:
>> Connectors:
>> http://www.mouser.de/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=87523-6
>>
>> Housing:
>> http://www.mouser.de/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1-87456-6
>
> AMP used to make a lot more contact variations including solder tail
> and wire wrap versions. When Tyco bought AMP, they began rapidly
> discontinuing large numbers of products as part of their LEAN
> initiative. It could be the contacts that were originally used were
> some of those which were discontinued.
>
> You could probably crimp the contacts onto #24 or #22 busbar wire
> (tinned solid copper) which would allow you to solder them to the
> board. The proper crimper for these type of contacts is essential
> and an older model AMP crimp tool is not terribly expensive second
> hand/surplus if you have time to wait for one to turn up.

I planned to use rigid wire. It Zilog used them too when they made the
circuit. You can see how they cut it on the bottom of the PCB.

I plan to just solder the wires on the connectors. Once they're placed
on the PCB they won't be moved so the soldering joint on the connectors
should not break over time. Crimping should not be needed I'd say....