Connectors: Both contact surfaces must also be the same material?

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Sun Jul 10 08:07:39 CDT 2016

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Paul Birkel wrote:
> Stated Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net:
>
>> "Both contact surfaces must also be the same material or tin oxide will
>> form on the surface of the gold plating and cause a major headache.
>> This was a serious problem with 486 and earlier Pentium PCs with 30 and
>> 72 pin SIMMs and it led to a number of lawsuits."
>
> Almost every DEC System Unit ("backplane") that I've ever seen uses
> tinned-contacts, yet the Modules all use gold-plated fingers.

I'm not familiar with them used in DEC systems in that way, but the
problems with mixing tin and gold plated connectors is well documented.
Even the connector manufacturers warn against mixing different platings.

Another problem that can occur is because a gold surface is softer than
tin oxide, if the header pin is tarnished, mating the gold plated contact
with the header will not break the surface of the tin oxide. Tin oxide is
not a good conductor.

> How does that situation jibe with the SIMM issue/experience?

Somewhere around here I still have some 4MB 30 pin SIMMs with gold plated
contacts that were used in tin plated sockets for several years. The
damage/contamination of the gold plated SIMM contacts is significant.