"FIRST"??!? (Was: word processor history -- interesting article

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jul 6 17:16:09 CDT 2016

On 07/06/2016 01:47 PM, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:

> Depends  what you mean by "word processor". If you mean 'software
> intended to format  text', you need to look back to things like TJ2:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TJ-2
>
> and 'runoff', both circa 1963. Much  earlier than any of the 'word
> processors' this person wrote  about.

I remember punching my documents on an 026 then running a FORTRAN
formatter.  Of course, there were many escape codes conventions in the
formatter for stuff like boldface, underlining, tables, word-wrap
suppression, "widow" control, etc.

I wasn't unique in this--indeed the whole practice predates integrated
circuits, I suspect.

Perhaps the author counts only WYSIWYG-type wapros and that things like
the MT/ST don't count either.

--Chuck