Disc Imaging / Kryoflux - Acorn ADFS 800KB

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Jul 2 17:51:30 CDT 2016

> On 07/02/2016 02:15 PM, Peter Coghlan wrote:
>> The original ADFS had 16 sectors of 256 bytes per track. However, it
>> appears that more recent ADFS formats use 5 sectors of 1024 bytes.
>> There are more details here:
>> http://mdfs.net/Docs/Comp/Disk/Format/Formats

. . . and the "F" and "F+" would require a "high density" drive
(not clear from that chart, but probably 1.4M)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Since I don't have an Acorn, I'm a bit in the dark about all of this
> talk about Kyroflux.   Wouldn't it be simpler to use a legacy PC floppy
> controller?

I agree.  It seems like it to me.
I don't the the Acorn file system, so couldn't extract files.
But reading sectors should not be a problem, although there are certainly
SOME things that Acorn could have done that would confound an NEC FDC.

If the sector headers are "normal", then INT1Eh (to set the sector size),
followed by INT13h should work.

But, if OP can get his Kryoflex setup to work with DOS 720K, then the
Acorn 640K and 800K should be doable.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com