what's vintage? was Re: Latest addition: A bondi-blue iMac

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sat Jul 2 10:52:51 CDT 2016

> This email is being run through a server
> running Ubuntu on a headless Orange Pi PC.

This E-mail is being run through a server running AIX on a 2-way POWER6
(an IBM p520).

> At $15, I'll probably buy a few more.

At $10,000 when I bought it (used!) in 2010 ... I, uh, ...

I did get a spare backplane for it recently which was around $1800.

However, the outside backup spool is a VM slice running FreeBSD because I
needed the redundancy; I used to have a peering arrangement with some of
my friends and buddies in different geographical areas but they've all
stopped running their own local hardware.

This may well be the last tank I own and operate. The next iteration might
just be one of those cheap ARM things.

-- Optimization hinders evolution. --------------------------------------------