what's vintage? was Re: Latest addition: A bondi-blue iMac

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 2 09:39:23 CDT 2016

On 02/07/2016 14:58, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 July 2016 at 20:33, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>> ...and numerous clones.   This email is being run through a server
>> running Ubuntu on a headless Orange Pi PC.  At $15, I'll probably buy a
>> few more.
>
> That's one thing I don't get. The RasPi is interesting because it can
> run so many OSes, and more are appearing. One of mine runs Lubuntu,
> sure, but the other has RISC OS. I also want to play with Plan 9,
> FreeBSD, Interim, I'm wondering if I can learn enough to port Oberon
> or even Inferno.
>
> It's a computer. It can run lots of OSes.
>
> All the others, AFAIK, run Linux and nothing else. As such they're of
> little interest to me.

As ever one English word can have more than one connotation. "Vintage"
is no exception.
If we dispense with the wine allusion then a more general usage could be
"the best example of its type"
Adding some kind of chronological definer such as "in the 1960's" would
help.

Having defined our terms of reference we can then move on to make our
choice.
Clearly, even with agreed parameters, one person might offer more than
one example as a candidate.
A group of people will almost certainly produce a selection of answers.

So as to if a computer is vintage or not is an opinion.
A preponderance of one computer type or model might indicate some group
agreement.

Rod Smallwood