Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Fri Jan 29 11:50:16 CST 2016

At 11:19 AM 1/29/2016, Ali wrote:
>> The other hassle is having to essentially rebuild an Win98 (or any
>> other) machine from scratch in order to try to replicate an existing
>> setup.  I haven't seen any way to "capture" an existing machine and all
>> its disk partitions -- especially when there's multiple partitions of
>> different types -- and import it into the virtual world.   That'd be great.
>
>Not for free but AFAIK VMWare Pro allows you to do this.

Yes, the VMware Converter can do this.  It'll create a VM from a disk image.

No one has mentioned the Windows Virtual PC, a Microsoft product,
that lets you run Windows XP apps in a virtual environment under
Windows 7 Pro, letting XP apps run in their natural window on
the 7 desktop, or you can run the virtual XP machine desktop
in its own window.

It will also run Windows 98, with a few gotchas:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/05/27/installing-windows-98-on-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

- John