Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:33:37 CST 2016

On 28 January 2016 at 17:45, Jerome H. Fine <jhfinedp3k at compsys.to> wrote:
> I run Windows 98SE on a 14 year old Pentium III.  I have
> replaced the power supply twice and all three hard disk drives.

I have answered this at length before.

Do not even *TRY* to run Win9x on modern hardware. Most things won't
work, there are no drivers, and it remains horribly inefficient.

The same codebase as Netscape 7.2 still exists. It is called Mozilla
Seamonkey. It is a more modern, updated version of the *same program*.
I have previously posted links to detailed instructions on how you
could migrate your entire profile, complete and intact, onto Seamonkey
(or Thunderbird, the stand-alone mail program) without needing to
change or reconfigure anything.

NT-based Windows is a lot more pleasant, more reliable and on a modern
multicore CPU much faster and more responsive than Win98.

I suspect most people would recommend Windows 7, which has
substantially the same look and feel as Win 98 and would require
minimal re-familiarisation.

As for Ersatz-11, there is a Win32 version, or you could run the
existing version under a VM in Virtualbox, a free hypervisor.