RIFA EMI caps [WAS: Re: VT100 PSU smelling.]

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jan 23 18:06:20 CST 2016

On 01/23/2016 02:40 PM, Pontus wrote:

> All I could find were new similar Kemet capacitors. Do you know if newer
> Kemet suffer from the same problem and I will regret buying them?

I usually replace the Rifa capacitors with equivalent polyester safety
caps (X or Y rated).  Kemets are most common and work just fine.  It's
not a bad idea, if you're in a 240AC mains country to bump the AC
voltage rating up a bit.  I've seen too many line filters with 250VAC
rated caps labeled for either 120 or 240V use.  That would make me
nervous if I lived in a 240V country.

--Chuck