Data Recovery Services

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:06:06 CST 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:35:22PM -0800, John Robertson wrote:
> > If the drive's PCB turned out to be the problem, could an identical
> > drive model act as a donor for a known-to-be-good PCB?
>
> I've done this on modern drives.  It is not particularly tricky.
>
> mcl

It can work. But I remember reading that each PCB keeps track of bad
physical blocks; if you transplant the PCB from another drive, you might
end up with a different set of bad blocks beings saved.

I still haven't gotten rich enough to use his services, but I've talked
to this guy named Scott Moulton, who charges $50 evaluation fee + $750
per drive. He also teaches classes on doing it yourself (for big bucks).
His web site is <http://myharddrivedied.com/>.

(On one of mine, I was hoping data recovery would be cheap due to the
cause being in the filesystem rather than the media, but he charges the
same rate regardless.)

--
        Eric Christopherson