Data Recovery Services

Göran Axelsson axelsson at acc.umu.se
Wed Jan 20 16:45:49 CST 2016

Den 2016-01-20 kl. 21:35, skrev John Robertson:
> On 01/20/2016 11:22 AM, JC White wrote:
>> I need to recover some files from a SCSI drive that failed over a
>> decade ago.  Are there data recovery services that can determine if
>> the files on the drive can be recovered or can actually do such a
>> recovery?  Now that I think about it, I recently also had a fairly
>> new Western Digital drive suddenly no longer be seen by any Windows
>> PC and I really need many of the files on it.  Can anybody here tell
>> me if drive manufacturers offer recovery services? I ask this since I
>> saw a post somewhere that Seagate offers some sort of file recovery
>> via cloud storage.
>> As you can tell, I am by no means super-knowledgeable about modern
>> systems since I am from the WANG 2200 MVP, WANG PC, and WANG Basic 2C
>> era, and still have a few pieces of WANG hardware collecting dust.
>> I apologize if I am posting this to a group where it is inappropriate.
>> Thank You,
>> John
>>
> If the drive's PCB turned out to be the problem, could an identical
> drive model act as a donor for a known-to-be-good PCB? Of course this
> would depend on the model of the drive. Perhaps you can share that
> info and experts here may have better ideas.
>
> Then you just need to find the same model...and I just drilled out
> four old SCSI drives the other day to kill the data dead (software
> company's drives). Didn't think to save the PCBs...
>
> This could also be a 'shake & bake' drive that needs a bit of trickery
> to get spinning...
>
> John :-#)#

Replacing the drive board could work. Some modern drives saves a table
with data about the media in a on board flash that needs to be moved to
the new board.
I've done that a couple of times with good results when the failure was
on the board. (In one case obvious physically damaged board.)
There are several companies that sells replacement boards on eBay and
they usually require your old board first to move the flash, then you
get back the broken board and a second one with the correct flash.

By the way, I'm getting a copy of everything from cctalk without being
subscribed to it so I can't remove that subscription. It means I'm
getting dual copies for everything on cctech and that's a bit annoying,
could someone with access to the list server remove me from cctalk, please.
I understand that this originated in some server upgrade / crash / major
outage and I was hoping it would go back to normal after a while... it
didn't. Thanks for all the work whoever you are that manages this list. :-)

Göran