C64 system cost?

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Tue Jan 19 22:23:25 CST 2016

Try your local freecycle or craigslist if you are in the USA. Most of my C64
machines came from freecycle, people used to just give that stuff away.

A working C64 should be cheap, 1541 drives cost a $20 or so locally. The
monitors vary in price but I don't think that many are around and working
these days (people who ditched their C64's kept the monitors for video
screens back when VCRs were still in use then they got ditched like any
other CRT).

If you want to play games you will need a special PC to commodore 1541 cable
so you can dump .64 images to 5.25" floppies (you will need to find some
blanks).

If you want to mess with GEOs then things get a little more expensive since
you will need dual 1541s, a RAM expansion, and a hard to find C64 mouse
(looks like an Amiga OEM mouse but it isn't).