Archiving CP/M 2.2 Source Code Programs to a PC (Fat or NTFS media)

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:34:39 CST 2016

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016, Robo58 wrote:

> Assume that I can get an old PC and connect it up how would an "image a
> disk" program work?  Does it have knowledge of the CP/M files system and
> can read the directory and grab the files?  Would the program also be
> able to write to the PC's file system to complete the archive?

The simplest approach (as suggested by Fred) would be to use 22Disk to
simply read files out of the CP/M filesystem.  If you are dealing with a
non-standard format that is not in the default database, you would need to
purchase a registered copy that has tools for building new definitions.

Alternately, you can use ImageDisk to capture an IMD file, then convert to
a sector image with the accompanying IMDU utility.  From there, use
'cpmtools' under Linux to read out the files. It is relatively
straightforward to define new disk formats for cpmtools, although you will
certainly have some experimentation ahead of you.