My last word on building computers!

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Jan 15 12:56:46 CST 2016

A number of years ago, I read an interesting book titled "Buehler's
Backyard Boatbuilding".  In the front matter, the author decried the
decrease in DIY, whether that was fixing your own car or (his topic)
building your own boat.  For the author, it was a clear sign of the
intellectual apocalypse.

When I was an undergrad, my roommate built his own guitar, performing all
the bending, shaping and glueing.  It took a long time.  He could easily
have purchased one with the money he would have earned in the same hours -
at minimum wage.

So I think this is in fact a broad theme that touches on values such as
independence and pride in one's skills and abilities - and for some,
curiosity (*can* I do this thing or that?).  Individuality is another value
I see expressed (less and less) in the motorcycle community - time was when
the phrase "stock Harley" was an oxymoron.  (And don't get me started about
the stupid phrase, "factory custom".)

And smack that kid!  :-)

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."