Remember the old "Choose your own adventure books" By D & D! ! !

Andrew Burton aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 2 14:28:53 CST 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Christopherson" <echristopherson at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2016 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: Remember the old "Choose your own adventure books" By D & D! !
!

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015, Mike wrote:
> >   IN Qbasic there is a SLEEP command as in...
> >
> > 10 PRINT " HELLO WHAT IS YOUR NAME? " PNAME$
> > 20 CLS
> > 20 SLEEP=10 <----PAUSE FOR 10 SECONDS
> > 30 PRINT "HELLO" PNAME$ "yOUR STARTING A ADVENTURE THAT WILL TAKE YOU
> > THROUGH THE"
> > 40 PRINT "MISTY MOUNTAINS "
> >
> > How would the sleep function work in basic I have tryed 10 sleeo=10, 10
> > "sleep=5" its not working...
>
> You have to make a loop that will last a certain amount of time. A
> common thing was to say something like
>
>     20 FOR I=0 TO 100:NEXT

I'm not sure which version of Basic Mike is trying to use, but Spectrum
Basic (atleast the 128K variety) had a Wait instruction, for example:

200 Wait 50 : Rem wait 1 second
210 Rem do something here...

Where the number following the Wait instruction indicated the number of
50ths of a second to wait (I suspect that would have been 60ths of a second
for the Timex Sinclair models, if they had BASIC).

Regards,
Andrew Burton
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
www.aliensrcooluk.com