New Commodore 64 is Finally Here--For Real! PC MAG Snip

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Fri Jan 1 14:25:51 CST 2016

On 1/1/2016 1:54 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 01/01/2016 11:03 AM, Jim Brain wrote:
>> On 1/1/2016 12:50 AM, Mike wrote:
>>> Thank you G for the info that guy was quite young. . . So now I
>>> guess Ill buy the SD card addon but the only problem is that I have
>>> seen you can only use a 2 gig SD card in them is that right?
>> Can you clarify?  I'm not aware of a SD card add-on for the C64 that
>> can only do 2GB SD cards.
>
> I've seen this on digicams with CF cards.  2GB is the "official" limit
> to FAT16 filesystems.  However, XP and later can format 4GB cards to
> FAT16 as well--and it seems to work very well with my older cameras,
> which do not understand FAT32.
>
> --Chuck

I understand that, but the OP was talking about a SD card add-on (I
assume for the 64) that only accepts 2GB cards.  AFAIK, all of them
accept FAT32 now.  Since I sell one of the variants, and I have snarky
people ask me how big a SD card mine will handle, I have here a 64 with
a 128GB SD-card equipped drive :-).  Works fine, though the root dir
listing takes a LOOONG time :-)

(Yes, the card came formatted as exFAT, which is not supported. Luckily,
it is trivial to format a SD card as FAT32 no matter the size)

Jim