OK, one more question about sending email TO an old VAX

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Wed Feb 24 23:14:00 CST 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, william degnan wrote:

> How does one send mail INBOUND to this kind of VAX mail from a modern email
> like gmail?  Is it possible to format the header somehow to get the message
> through?  You can't simply send a message to

Perhaps VMS cannot reach your mailbox?

In another message you mentioned a complain from your mail server
involving a ':'.  A colon is very important to VMS for things like
terminating a logical name, separating the device name from the directory,
the node name from the device name, modifying the way that a symbol is
defined, and probably others.  So a full file specification migh look
like this

 	oldvax::sys$sysdevice:[temp.george]george_and_alice.jpg

This leads to the following required syntax for a Multinet scp command:

     richardlo $ scp brian_trains.txt klystron.cs:trains.txt
     SCP2: FATAL: klystron.cs is not a valid logical name, use :: for a
     remote host
     richardlo $ scp brian_trains.txt klystron.cs::trains.txt
     brian_trains.txt           | 4.3kB | 4.3kB/s | TOC: 00:00:01 | 100%

Go read you multinet configuration and you system startup files very
carefully with a mind for typographical errors surrounding colons,
logical names, symbols, and so forth.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
   Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our