Copying from a floppy to an SD card?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Feb 23 01:02:10 CST 2016

On 02/22/2016 10:17 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> I know of no way, probing only with the PC & software, to determine
> which type of X-1541 cable you might have. However, wiring diagrams
> for +all+ versions are freely available, and it shouldn't be any
> great effort to open up and - with the help of a multimeter - examine
> a given cable and compare it against the various arrangements.
>
> The 1541-side parallel port is totally optional, and it is not
> required to produce a working setup. However, when coupled with an
> appropriate cable, drives equipped with the parallel connector
> operate several times faster than even the fastest non-parallel
> setups. That said, any of the X-1541 setups will tend to run a fair
> bit faster than a genuine Commodre IEC bus, so unless you plan to do
> a +lot+ of transfer, don't worry about going the parallel route.

I'm occasionally called on to transfer some of the C64 floppies.  I have
a 1571 and have cobbled up the XM interface connected to a DB25F
permanently mounted on the drive.  That way, I can use a "straight
through" cable to the parallel port of the host PC without thinking
about what I might need.  Works fine; I get use it about once every 3-4
years.

I suppose it might be possible to rig something more elaborate up using
a small MCU and a USB cable, but the need doesn't justify the effort.

--Chuck