PDP-11/20 vd one that just says pdp 11 what are the date differences?? OEM?

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Feb 22 16:01:11 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 03:42:21PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> So, do you know of any engineering document or photograph of one of those
> 'first' -11/10's? My bet is that there probably are none - because the
> machine likely never existed. (Although DEC may have sold a few, what was
> shipped was probably an -11/20 - with a front panel reading 'PDP-11', which
> may be why the earliest -11/20's said that - with the configuration listed
> for the 'first' -11/10.)

This is purely speculation:

Notice that the 1969 price list statest that a PDP-11/20 is a
_prerequisite_ for the PDP-11/10. Also notice that the description
doesn't include a teletype _or_ programmers console.

With that and the low memory specs in mind, could it be that the
_original_ 11/10 was intended as an automation machine for installation
in some system with a specific task and that you were supposed to use
the prerequisite 11/20 as a development system?

So, if you want to find one, you should look in some contemporary
industrial equipment.

/P