VAX 11/730 quickie

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:48:38 CST 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 8:23 AM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> red lights. The baud rate switches are set for 4800 - the default.
>
> Eh? There is no way to set it for 4800 baud (the installation manual,
> printset, and my tests all agree on what baud rates are available).
>
> How do you have the switches set?
>
> Note that if switch 2 (of the DIP switch at location E47 on the WCS
> board which is the one that controls the console baud rate) is closed
> then the 8085 consol processor is held in a wait state. If you have done
> this then of course you will get nothing on the terminal.

Ugh I brain-typoed; of course I meant "2400 - the default"!

And one of the first thing I did was check for traces going to pins on
the WCS console connector; that's why I'm confident my wiring is OK.

But I will recheck switches.

I haven't got into scoping the 8085 yet; this is really a quick and
dirty sanity check: does it get the ROM> prompt? Yes... great - move
on. Status known. No... check obvious finger trouble... still dead?
Not good but status known... move on.

Mike

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'