Vaxstation 3100 - I have console access

Bryan Everly bryan at bceassociates.com
Sat Feb 20 10:35:45 CST 2016

Richard

Thanks for the note. I think I might have a unique beast on my hands.
The controller board has a single SCSI connector and an MFM connector
for my floppy drive. There is an empty socket on the board (bottom row
third from left if you are standing above the machine with the front
facing you) and every other photo of any 3100 SCSI board shows a chip
with a sticker on it (EPROM?) in that socket.

The behavior I am seeing is that I do not see the floppy or the hard
drive (or for that matter the SCSI bus) when I execute test commands
from the serial console. This leads me to believe that the missing
chip has the firmware for the controller on it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Bryan