Non-binding-breaking Book scanners (Was: Looking for PDP handbook

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Feb 19 16:27:05 CST 2016

>>> Ooh, that's pretty cool.
>> Yes, but, . . .
>> I've participated in building a few similar devices.
> So download the CAD files and get cracking.

If that's the way that you WANT to do it.
It's mostly plywood, framing, and some pipe work.
We did one with slotted angle iron, one with unistrut, and a few with
scrap 2x4s.

You can take a shortcut and use some old enlargers or photographic copy
stands for the camera brackets, and posts for them to slide on.
For one quick and dirty one, we used plumbing pipe and a pair of
clamp-pods.   (common photographic clamps with 1/4"x20tpi mounting thread)
A "slide-rail" positioner is helpful to be able to make minor front-back
adjustments of camera position, particularly since a relatively long focal
length lens is going to require increasing the camera to work distance.
For this use, you'll want them coming down from a
superstructure ABOVE, rather than rising from the base.

The big part is a trough made of two pieces of plywood resting on a V
shaped frame.  (You'll remember that I recommended NOT having them meet at
the bottom.)  Draw some lines on it at the midpoint, and at "calibrated"
distances out from the midpoint, plus some holes at most common positions
for bench-dogs or fence attachment.

There will still be occasional times when you will want to press glass on
the work to flatten it.

Most people consider most "modern" lenses to produce reults that they can
tolerate.  You may need to use a shorter focal length than you might be
comfortable with.

With a "standard" camera mount, it is easy to switch cameras around until
you find what you like.

Throw together a quick and dirty one, and decide for yourself what changes
you need.