Vaxstation 3100 - I have console access

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:37:03 CST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Bryan C. Everly <bryan at bceassociates.com>
wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the email.  My challenge is that this machine has a floppy and a
> SCSI drive (both appear to be cabled correctly when I open things up) and
> yet neither show up when I do a "show device" from the console.

>  VMS/VMB  ULTRIX    ADDR    DEVTYP  NUMBYTES  RM/FX  WP  DEVNAM  REV
>  -------  ------  --------  ------  --------  -----  --  ------  ---
>  ESA0     SE0     08-00-2B-16-58-20
>
> Therefore, when I issue a "boot" command, it's trying to boot from the
> network and not from the floppy I currently have inserted.
>
> Any ideas on troubleshooting I can do to determine why it isn't seeing
> things on the SCSI bus?  (I'm assuming this is a SCSI floppy - please let
> me know if I'm incorrect in that assumption.)
>

> Thanks,
> Bryan

Bryan
It may be that you're missing an external hard drive, but at least
something should show.  Here is my SHOW DEV output:

http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/MicroVAX-3100/show_dev.jpg

You can see a tape drive, and hard drives to pick from.

Open the box and see if there is battery damage preventing the drive
controller, assuming you have one is connected and not damaged.

Bill