IBM System z9 available near Ann Arbor, MI

Connor Krukosky connork at connorsdomain.com
Fri Feb 12 23:42:09 CST 2016

On 2/10/2016 5:00 PM, Ali wrote:
> BUT will it run Doom ;)?
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist...
>
> -Ali

While I am not sure about Doom, it will not run a Quake or Unreal
Tournament server since they have x86 binaries in them.
I learned this while trying to compile source on my z890 under SuSE.
I've seen that machine up for quite awhile so I'd hope they would take a
lot less.

But if your on the west coast there is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182005897801
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172079906457
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182011477001

They recently reduced each piece from 800 to 500 so they may even take
less. I assume its taking up too much space for them hah.
Its nice you can get a DASD unit too, and while it doesn't have drives
the drives should be fairly cheap.
Also a tape library if you want.

Just an obvious warning that the z890 weighs like 1500lbs or so, not the
easiest thing to move, but fun once you have it up and running :)

-Connor K