.IMD diskette image file recovery

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:25:15 CST 2016

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016, Jim Simpson wrote:

> Is there a utility that will read .IMD diskette archive files and recover
> the data?  I've found a wealth of BigBoard & BigBoard II data (and lots of
> other stuff too) on many different sites, all saved in .IMD format.  Is it
> possible to read these files and recover the data instead of writing a
> floppy disk with DiskImage?

You can use the IMDU program (part of the ImageDisk package) to convert
those files to a vanilla sector image.  From there, cpmtools is your
friend for extracting the files.  IIRC, the BB used the same format as the
Xerox 820 machines and they'll probably already be a useable diskdef.  If
not, it's fairly straightforward to write one.