AIX for IBM system 370

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 00:05:48 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:37 PM, Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:
> The AIX in the quote was regarding AIX for the RS/6000.  The kernel for AIX
> on the
> RS/6000 bore no real resemblance to any other Unix kernel.
[...]
> Yes, it was alien (vs traditional Unix kernels) but it was simple and quite
> fast.

Am I misremembering, or doesn't AIX use substantially different
commands for managing things, rather than the commands typically found
in /sbin and/or /usr/sbin on "normal" Unix systems?  I thought that
was another motivation for the "space alien" quote, rather than only
the kernel.

I haven't actually used AIX/370. I used AIX for the RS/6000 only long
enough to get disgusted and get an illicit copy of AOS, which was BSD
4.3, which I knew how to use.