Stripping an RA80

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 12:52:20 CST 2016

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Ian Finder <ian.finder at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're invariably gonna take up more space with all the removed parts after
> you strip it than just keeping the whole unit around to cannibalize as
> needed.
> So I have to ask... WHY?!

Well, considering the main bits I need are assorted screws and
brackets (the correct
UNC hardware is very difficult to find in the UK), including the hinge
bolts for the logic
chasiss, it's going to fall apart anyway.

As I said, I may well scrap the outer casing metalwork unless I have a
good reason not
to. The boards, HDA and PSU are smaller than the whole thing _and will
fit into odd
corners_. And they are light enough to move around (unlike the RA80!).

There are few parts (other than the screws and cables) that I would
cannibalise for
the R80. Yes, the HDA if it is good and the one in the R80 is dead.
The only custom
electronic parts are the ROMs on the microprocessor board and they are different
(so no point in using those). Other electronic parts I would try to
get new. I don't
swap boards!

-tony