Transporting an LGP-30

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 19:35:50 CST 2016

On Dec 28, 2016, at 4:16 PM, jim stephens wrote:

> On 12/28/2016 8:38 AM, Cory Heisterkamp wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Guys, thanks for all the feedback. A challenge? Absolutely. But this is likely as close as I'll ever come to having a first generation machine, something unfathomable to me as a kid.
>>
>> Apologies for the radio-silence, we've put 1200+ miles under our belts since Monday morning. Today we cross into Alberta. Will keep you all posted on how it goes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cory
> While you are where you can do it, if you are transporting it back, make sure that all parts have the Made in USA clearly located for US customs.  I encountered some blockheads when I crossed over carrying some material from Canada a few times.  Only was able to trump the nonsense when one of them found a hard to read "Made in USA" that my partner had stuck in the etch on a lark.
>
> Hangup was all the foreign content IC's with "Made in <far east>".  Though less of a problem with older equipment, it might be a problem.
> thanks
> Jim

Good news! We got back across the border without issue...they didn't even ask to see the customs forms we had. Unreal.

On first blush, I don't see any major damage to the drum. It does appear locked (either the drum or motor, hard to say at this point). But that may have worked to my advantage when the machine was moved from Vancouver. There's a tag on top indicating it was adjusted in 1970.

With 900 more miles to go, it'll be a little while before I can sit down and see what the complete situation is. -C