BBC Micro - was Re: Altair 8800 name Was: Re: Altair 680 Expansion Boards?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:00:03 CST 2016

On 23 December 2016 at 15:50, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On 2016-12-23 12:16 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

>> The BBC Micro, at another quarter or third over the price of a C-64
>> but with a superb BASIC instead of CBM's abomination, was what the
>> unfortunate children of very serious, very wealthy people bought. Not
>> nearly so many games and not very good.
>>

> The Acornsoft games were very high quality (hard to distinguish from their
> arcade inspirations).
>
> But I was mostly interested in programming, so I loved our BBC Micro Model B
> to bits. A far superior machine to the Apple and Commodores.

I agree that it was a far superior machine. It had its limitations --
shortage of RAM, notably -- but it was a great design.

I'll have to take your word for it on the arcade games. TBH I was just
repeating what I've heard -- which was wrong of me. :-( Sorry...

The classics I've heard of, apart of course from Elite, were Repton
and Revs, but there were others.

I never owned or much used Acorn kit in the 6502 era. I only came to
Acorn via the Archimedes, a machine which I loved.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com