Megatek Series 7000 Graphics System?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Dec 13 11:07:10 CST 2016

On 12/12/16 10:53 AM, Al Kossow wrote:
> I also need to dig out the chassis to see what model number mine is.
> None of the boards have Unibus connectors out the top.
>
> I also put up a couple of Megatek related documents and a product announcement
> for the 7000 on bitsavers.

I took another look at my boards, and they are also from a 7000 with a Unibus interface.

Yours looks like it supports two displays, and it has a lot of memory. Mine only has a
single 16k x 32 ram board, but has a rotation board (probably a matrix multiplier) and
a board with a microprocessor, probably for a keyboard.

I think that most of the backplane may just be bussed, with 16 bit adr and 32 bit data.
My memory board looks like yours with the row of 82s137s and 16K drams. If you look at
the edge connector, most of the wiring goes to buffers which obviously are adr and data.

I'm a little worried about how many bipolar proms are on these boards, and the chances
of bit rot in them.

The functions of each of the cards and part number are etched on the edge opposite of
the edge connector. I'm wondering if your unit is for two raster displays, since it seems
to have 4 coaxial connectors for each output.

There is probably microcode on the 2901 board for the basic instruction set, I notice
some number of bipolar proms arranged in a row on there.

I doubt that the prom/dram memory board would be for microcode.