Halt and Catch Fire Tonight

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Aug 24 10:30:25 CDT 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, ethan at 757.org wrote:
> The tech timeline is so off :-(
> Mr. Robot is doing a better job of getting tech facts done well.

Really?
In 1981, instead of buying a copy of the PUBLISHED schematics and BIOS
source code for $40 or disassembling in DEBUG or in BASIC, one had to read
out binary in LEDs to see the ROM contents, and worry about IBM doing
DMCA prosecution for reverse-engineering?

Isn't it wonderful that we have such excellent accurate history of well
publicized events of the time, from this show and "Pirates Of The Valley"
(with billg cold-calling IBM to sell them on having an OS)?

It must have been incredibly difficult for the producers to find ANY
technical advisors who were around in those days!

They should have just come to us!  We could have explained to them that
FORTRAN was based on Valtrep, that Englebart got his ideas from his Mac,
that the 5100 holds the key to surviving the ultimate crash in 2038, the
arpanet was invented to get access to FACEBOOK and to the porn that was
already on WWW, and that Jobs invented the computer in order to create a
market for billg's invention of the OS!