X server for original PC (8088/8086)

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Aug 19 17:32:26 CDT 2016

> While I wouldn't want to use such a combination over, say, 1200bps dialup, i$

I decided to try this.

I just set up a SLIP link between my main desktop head (a
SPARCstation-20) and a handy peecee, running at 9600/8/N/1 on each end.
I then sshed through the SLIP link to the peecee and started a terminal
emulator, displaying on the ssh-forwarded X display.  (My own terminal
emulator, running with just base X fonts - in particular, with
server-side font rendering.)

It's no speed demon, but it is entirely usable.  I've had less usable
ssh sessions between cities when the inter-city links were heavily
loaded.

This is without even LBX, which I would expect would improve
performance substantially but which has proven resistant to use.  (I've
been unable to get anything but connection rejections out of it; I
don't know why, but don't want to hare off on chasing after that with
an email pending.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org